National Closing the Gap Strategy
INTTN works-in with the National Closing the Gap Strategy, Targets and Outcomes.
Closing the Gap is a strategy that that aims to improve the life outcomes of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with respect to health and wellbeing, education, employment, justice, safety, housing, land and waters, and languages.
The 17 Targets of Closing the Gap, include:
1. Everyone enjoys long and healthy lives
2. Children are born healthy and strong
3. Children are engaged in high quality, culturally appropriate early childhood education in their early years.
4. Children thrive in their early years.
5. Students achieve their full learning potential.
6. Students reach their full potential through further education pathways.
7. Youth are engaged in employment or education
8. Strong economic participation and development of people and their communities
9. People can secure appropriate, affordable housing that is aligned with their priorities and need
10. Adults are not overrepresented in the criminal justice system
11. Young people are not overrepresented in the criminal justice system
12. Children are not overrepresented in the child protection system
13. Families and households are safe
14. People enjoy high levels of social and emotional wellbeing
15. People maintain a distinctive cultural, spiritual, physical and economic relationship with their land and waters
16. Cultures and languages are strong, supported and flourishing
17. People have access to information and services enabling participation in informed decision-making regarding their own lives